From: Alan C [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, 13 March 2000 16:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MD: Sony ECM-DS70P mic - opinions wanted/questions

Hi all,

I have a Sony MZ-R50 MD..... last week I bought a cheap ($US20ish)
Panasonic stereo microphone (RP-VC2000), and tried taping a few local
gigs..... the quality came out OK, maybe an A- grade.... slightly lacking
in bass though which was disappointing....

So I took that back for now, and now I'm looking at a more expensive mic

The Sony ECM-DS70P caught my attention.... did some research on it, and
found it 'on special' online for 90 pounds in the UK - here in New Zealand,
its $NZ110 new in the shops - thats about 30-35 pounds.... bargain I guess

But..... is it any good?

Its specs are:
Frequency range: 100-15,000 Hz (Stereo)

The cheap panasonic one I bought had:
Frequency respnse: 100-20,000

And for comparison the (cheaper) binaural mics at SoundProfessionals, which
look real nice :) have:
Frequency range: 20 - 20,000 Hz

Can someone who fully understands those specs fill me in.... it looks like
the Sony ECM-DS70P is the worst there, with a low frequency response on
both ends.... would i hear a major difference? Are there other factors that
are more important??

I'd also like to hear real life experiences of people who have actually
used both the Sony DS70P mic, and the soundprofessional binaurals with an
MD.... you can only base so much on technical numbers I guess :)

Oh, the music I'm recording is mainly loud-ish guitar based rock.... not
excessively loud punk or anything - Pearl Jam, Radiohead and the like....

Thanks so much! Last time I asked something here, I got a lot of very
useful replies....

Alan

EOM

NOTICE - This message contains information intended only for the use of the addressee
named above.  It may also be confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this
message in error please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]