> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:13:29 -0500
> From: Eric Woudenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: MD: cheap md product found
>
> gpg writes:
>
> >I found a place on the web for an optical in/out soundcard $39.  PC
> >only
> >
> >www.etcompany.com
>
> Thanks! Actually I tracked down the URL to
> http://www.etcompany.com/nigoppcisoun.html. There's a review of that
> board on the MDCP: http://www.minidisc.org/zoltrix.html
>
> I'm forwarding your note to the MD mailing list.
>
> Rick
There is a cheaper place to get this card:
http://store.yahoo.com/newtech/zolnigpcisou.html
The price comes to $32 shipped. But DO NOT buy this card for digital input.
At least not yet. And it doesn't seem to work under NT correctly either. I
spent 2 evenings trying to make it work under NT4.0 and ended up installing
it only under Win98. I believe the optical output works great under Win98.
Just follow the manual and output will work. You can even connect the
SPDIF-out of CD-ROM into the SPDIF-out of the card. Under NT4 SPDIF doesn't
seem to work at all. The Optical Upgrade Kit even comes with a rather long
TOSLink-to-miniplug optical cable. But input has a problem. I was unable to
record off my JE510 -- the recording is always plays at the wrong speed,
while passthrough signal plays correctly. It also pretty difficult to setup
the card for input correctly when it is installed. Zoltrix doesn't seem to
provide the latest drivers. On their website they only list the drivers
shipped on their CD. The thing is that they are not their drivers. Since the
card is using C-Media's CMI8738 chip, you can just go C-Media's website and
get the newer drivers. There are still problems with those drivers. E-mail
questions to either company don't seem to be read. The only thing left is to
wait until C-Media fixes their drivers (they seem to do it relatively
often). Again, if you only care about optical output under Win98, this card
is great.