David W. Tamkin asked:

>Had you previously used these discs as cloning targets?  If not, then it
seems the discs just have bad spots, but the E33 doesn't seem to mind them
and just plays right through, perhaps going silent for an instant as it goes
over the bad spot and finds no data there.

Thanks for the comment David.

No, these were new discs out of the wrappers.  I'm hoping you're right
about the discs.  I've tried recording a few other discs since the problem
and they all seem ok.... fingers crossed.