On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, J. Coon wrote:

        Hi,

> >         Here's were my question comes: Sharp headphones are 32 Ohm, I have
> > an old walkman Aiwa headphones whose sound I like too much (in fact i
> > tried lots of walkmans back then to find the better sounding ones). But
> > they're 200 Ohm.
> >
> >         My electronic knowledge have some dust on top, and I was wondering
> > if the battery life will be shorter. My mind says that as impedance is
> > higher, AC current *voltage* will actually be higher, and battery life
> > will be shorter. Higher impedance:  higher energy loss also...
>
> The basic equation is V = ZI where V is the voltage, Z is the impedance,
> and I is the current.   Power = I^2 * Z
>
> Increasing the impedance will lower the current, decrease power
> consumption, and the volume.

        That doesn't happen in the amp/transducer world, AFAIK. Here
weren't working with DC, is variable Hz AC, and what actually happens if
my memory serves me well is that current voltage increases, and power
decreases. (hence my doubt). That's why amps tend to produce better sound
when using higher impedances.

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org