Evil Jim followed up further,

|       In this case, I'm actually interupting the digital signal by
| shutting off the digital output from my soundcard.  So, this isn't digital
| silence, this is the complete absence of signal.

Are you positive?  Perhaps the soundcard outputs silence when it has no
signal, as my CD changer and MD decks do, as long as they are turned on.
It must, because whatever procedure you mean by the words "shutting off the
digital output" doesn't get you a new track, but disconnecting the cable did.

Try turning your computer off -- now *that*, like disconnecting the cable,
is sure to shut off the signal to the recorder.

|       If I have to, I'll just edit the tracks and put splits in the
| silence I insert inbetween tracks.  But the whole idea of buying digital
| output for my computer was to make xfering to MD easier, not more
| difficult.  And, if I need to purchase a new MD to make it easier, I will
| (given my trade-in plan...)

I'm not sure the R90 will behave any differently; you might need a Sharp
model, then.