Yes, there is a device called the DATport that will
output a digital signal (spdif) from any usb connection.
The same company (sorry  ican't recall the name
right now) also makes one called the Socnicport
which is a TOSlink output...

do a search for the product names, or check out the
MDCP equipment page.

I haven't used either of these products so I can't
say how the results are, but I don't recall hearing
anything bad about them on the list.

good luck
and if you find a solution
keep us posted.

-Jeffrey

--
The day MS makes something that doesn't suck
will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.