I just received an MZ-R70 from Minidisco.  The plan is to use this portable
recorder to record interviews with family members for a genealogy project.
The unit is very small, compared to my MZ-EP11, and I find that its
clamshell mechanism feels a bit more delicate than the slot-in mechanism of
the MZ-EP11.  As was noted, it makes a quite audible noise at intervals,
which would prohibit using a "T" mic mounted on the jack.  I'm planning on
using a couple "tic-clip" mics with long cables, so this shouldn't be a big
problem.  (The MZ-EP11 is comparatively rather quiet.)  The MZ-R70's
front-panel buttons are much easier to operate than those on the MZ-EP11.
Interesting to note: the MZ-R70 has 2 headphone jacks, one next to the
line-in and mic jacks and another as part of connector for the remote.  The
jacks are color coded: black for headphones, white for line/digital in and
red for mic in.  One nice touch on the MZ-R70 LCD display is a 10-segment
level meter (with 1-second peak hold) which operates during both record and
playback.  As usual with portable Sony recorders, the MZ-R70 requires one to
press the annoying "END SEARCH" button when recording.

All told, this recorder looks like an good deal for a rather low price.
Now, does anyone know a good source of Mogami 2697 cable to make microphone
cords?