On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Mathieu Archambault wrote:

        Hi,

> Can someone please explain to me the difference between the MDS-JA20ES
> deck(US model) and the MDS-JA22ES deck (japanese model). Why isn't the
> MDS-JA22ES available in the US and why isn't any of Sony's ES line MD decks
> available in gold here in North America (Correct me if I'm wrong).

        AFAIK, the difference resides mainly in GUI.

> I'm currently in the process of buying an ES MD deck since I went to see
> the MDS-JB930 at my local Sony store and thought it looked and felt very
> cheap. Even though the 930 have ES fuctions they still feel quite deprived
> of quality. So that concluded help me pickout a ES MD deck. Some of you
> surely have extensive knowledge on Sony's ES line so help me out.

        I won't expect too much in terms of features. I have a JA20ES, I
bought it because at that time it was the best in terms of sound quality,
ATRAC version, and digital connection convenience (3 in, 2 out).

        It sounds great, sure, but nowadays, although maybe with little
less sonic (DAC/ADC, S/N, etc) quality, the 9xx series have the same
digital connections convenience, the same ATRAC version (probably better,
as on minidisc.org is mentioned the JA20ES has type R, but Sony doesn't
reflect that on its specs, but 4.5) plus the PS/2 keyboard.

        To be a ES deck, I'm a little pissed off with it (I'm starting to
compare Sony with Microsoft), as it hangs frequently when writing the TOC
if you have dome much editing when powering off, (one can of course simply
unplug/replug it so that the TOC recovery function finally writes it)  and
the S-Link megacontrol function is merely aesthetic, it will hang your
Caroussel and MD very frequently, and write 5 sec blank tracks when the
caroussel changes discs.

        To be short, that I treat it very close to a windows machine:
resetting it by plugging off/on every now an then.

        My appreciation: a decent sonic quality deck, with maybe a great
physical finishing, and a *very poor logical* one.

        hope it helps,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org