Since I became president of the sight and sound club this is auctually
something a lot of people asked when I used my MiniDisc JE510 deck to
record concerts rather than thier crappy tape deck. This lead me that I
need to run some blind listening tests.

Seeing as we auctually had some advanced equipment there, I decided to
put MD to the test aganist CD and also MP3 aganist them too, because
EVERYONE knows MP3.

So I digitally ripped the MP3 and encoded it using the newest Franhouer
encoder from Nero Burning rom then burned those MP3's onto an Audio CD
(Nero will decode as well). Then I dug up a really nice CD player with
digital output and recorded the same song off the same CD.

Now I've got like, 5 samples: CD, MD, MP3@128, MP3@160 and MP3@192.

So we set up our test system. A JVC Pro-Logic surround system, JVC CD
player, some really good Bose speakers and my MD deck.

We gathered 10 people for a first run test. Most of them being freshmen
and sophmores. Well, 9 people guessed CD properly, 1 said it was probably
MD. 8 people said the MD was MD, 2 said they weren't sure, but it sounds
like CD. Then when it came to the MP3, they got 128 with no problem, at
160, 2 had guessed MD, then at 192 everyone said something different.

We're running the test on some adults today, and I may throw in SoundVQ
for fun.