On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:07:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       Just a quick query. Does anyone know of anywhere selling cheap car
MD
>       head units? Preferrably in the UK, but mail order from the US may be

>       worth considering if much cheaper.

I'm in the UK, and just wanted to get a handle on your feeling for "cheap".
In the UK I think Halfords and Argos sell Sony MD heads for around the £200
mark - probably free fitting, too. Depending on your car, you may or may not
want to trust *their* free-fitting, though.

>       I'd also appreciate any comments anyone may have about the
>       reliability/useability of car units they may have owned.

I've had one in my car for a few weeks now. Apart from some installation
niggles, that my car dealer sorted out, I've not had much in the way of
complaints.

I think the unit I've got has 6 second shock protection, I *think* it *may*
have skipped once - it was a little difficult to tell really. I've driven
over cobbles and some reasonable bumps and undulating roads, and I've not
yet had any skips - apart from the one time I *think* it might have skipped!
I drive 2-3 hours per day, so it gets a reasonable amount of use!

The only minor issues I've had with the head unit are the dim feature for
the panel graphics seems to "blip" periodically when in auto mode with the
headlights on - resolved by setting dim either off or on. And yesterday I
found the clock to be behaving a little strangely - it has an automatic
feature whereby it will get the current time from an RDS signal (assuming
the station broadcasts this info). I have this set on, and last night,
driving home it seemed to be about 45 minutes slow - I resolved it later on
by turning the feature off for a while, then turning it on and tuning to a
station I know broadcasts this signal.

The MD unit has behaved fine - the sound is reasonably good and I've got no
complaints with it. FYI the head unit is a Sony MDX-C670RDS and my car is a
97 VW Passat (current model / shape) with 8 speakers (4 front, 4 rear).

Neil