I read that it is certainly possible, but so far the magneto-optical
material hasn't been capable to achieve some of the properties needed.

I'm not sure about the technical details, but it seems to be something about
the magnetic power of the material. If you drop speed more, more data is
being squeezed into the same space, so the material has to be more
sensitive.  This was also the reason for the 74-min disc launching months
after the original 60-min disc. Work still has to be done to make the
material usable in 80-minute+ context.

The size of groove on 80-minute Discs (1.4um I think) is as low as current
equipments will accept (format standard is 1.5um +- 0.1um), so to cram in
more time you'll have to reduce disc speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Leon