* "Timothy P. Stockman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 02 May 2000
| I think that a formal compression system implies the capability of
| expansion.  Sampling at a lower rate throws away information with no hope of
| recovery...

True for lossless compression.  Lossy compression allows for "good enough"
reproduction, for whatever "good enough" might be.  What is good enough for
voice is not nearly good enough for music.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should