I have a JE500 and JE520. The list may recall that recently I reported that
the JE500 all of a sudden (mid-session!) wouldn't record more than 2-6
seconds of material on a track. Starting a new track didn't help; changing
disks didn't make a difference either. More than one reply was along the
line that it would be cheaper to replace it than to repair it, which might
be true.

My current question is this: is there anything in the test mode that could
identify the possible problem and, better yet, is there any such thing as
"resetting" an MD unit to factory defaults (to you Mac users, I would liken
this to zapping the P-RAM), so that, perhaps by doing so the recording
problem--if it's a brain thing, not a part thing--might be solved?

I should add that I've never entered test mode, so if there are specific
things I can try once I'm there, please spell them out.

Many thanks!

Richard