Just to double check that this "static" doesn't exist on the original CD ?
I know some of my CDs have the static, hiss, pop associated with vinyl.

Also, what does the level meter on the r70 say at the point of  the static,
is it maxed out ?  If not, then it's not the recording level.

Something to try, record via analog cable and see if you still hear the
static.

> of the 'Third Eye Blind - Blue' cd there are many points where static is
> clearly noticable. i use a sony optical cable (poc-15b), sony
> blanks, and i
> o i need to manually lower the recording level? or could this be
> limitations of the ATRAC the mz-r70 uses? would it help to use higher
> quality media like the ceramic sony discs? please help!

MD discs are discs.  Like computer discs, the quality does not depend on the
disc.  Even couple years ago, it was determined that most MDs had a block
error rate well below (was it 160 or 220?), which is 100% correctable with
ATRAC's error correction algorithm.