> I attempted to make a live recording using my new Sony
> MZ-R90 last night, and the resulting recording is so
> distorted that it's almost unintelligible.  I was using
> mini-cardioid mics plugged into the MIC IN (no external
> power) and tried using both the AGC and setting the
> recording levels myself.  This was a very loud rock band at
> an outdoor venue.  A friend of mine has made several
> recordings in the same conditions (using a JVC recorder),
> and his recordings have almost no distortion.  Does anyone
> have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?
-- I think this effect is called "brickwalling". You mic pream gets
overloaded and can't really handle the signal from the mics. You might be
better off getting the mic with external power (battery box) and plugging it
into the line in of your recorder (I use SoundPro's mics, for example). AGC
should not be used, since it doesn't seem to be capable of adjusting to the
changes in sound. I have tried it with my R30 and it works only for quiet
acoustic concerts (in terms of not distorting). The problem can also be with
mics. The mic that I use most often is SONY ECM-717 (easiest to setup). I
recorded some very loud concerts with it with no problems and I used mic
input. I just had to set the recording level manually, so that it doesn't go
over.