"Clements, Malcolm" wrote:

> In a recent magazine article mentioned that the capacity of Mini disc was 74
> mins and 148 mins in Mono. Was this just stating the hypothetical capacity
> or is it possible to run a mindisc in mono. Secondly is the equipment
> available to achieve this?

Any recent MD recorder or player built in the last few years will record
or play in mono mode.  You use a stereo or mono mike and just set the
recording mode to mono and you can get 148 minutes on the disc.  Last
saturday I recorded a concert with my home brew stereo mike
http://www.tir.com/~liteways/Mandolin.html#Microphone and since I had to
take pictures and also play for 30 minutes myself, instead of recording
in stereo, I set the record mode to MONO, the mike sensitivity to LOW,
and used the automatic record level of my Sony R30.   I set the recorder
with the mike plugged in, on the soundman's table right behind the PA
amplifier.  I got one track that was 140 minutes  long.  I then set
track marks and titled each tune or section of interest.  It turned out
well.

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways