Thought I would add this to the discussion:  The amps with digital I/O that
are available now are analog amplifiers with built-in D/A convertors.  Some
of the high-end models use DSP for level, tone/equalization, reverb, etc,
but all eventually convert the signal to analog and pass it through an
analog power amp.  However, there are several companies that are close to
changing that!  They use a DSP to convert the incoming signal to bi-level or
tri-level pulse-width modulated.  The PWM signal switches high voltage
(100V), high current MOSFETs.  The output of the MOSFETs goes through a
passive low-pass filter and then directly to the speakers.  A neat approach,
because the signal remains in the digital domain until the last moment...