Eric Woudenberg wrote:

> "Simon Gardner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > If it's just for recording from laptop to MD
> > (for MP3s, etc) then the Xitel MDPort is significantly cheaper at $60, but
> > works in analogue - though that's likely to be higher quality than the sound
> > chipset in your laptop.
>
> I just received one of these (MDPort) for evaluation. Setup and use is
> incredibly easy, you basically just plug it in (Windows 2000 then
> automatically switches output to the USB device). No drivers to
> install, no switches to set, no nothing. Download your free MP3s (from
> the "starving artist" section of mp3.com, natch) and go wild. The
> sound is very good.

OK, most important part.  Can you send one audio stream to the USB
goodie while listening to something else on the sound card?  If not,
I can't see the advantage over a TOSLINK-capable sound card.  This
is what I REALLY want to be able to do (in the absence of a drive
that can write music to MDs as data files.  I want to be able to
record saved materials while listening to a live internet radio
station feed.

John

--
John De Armond