Marc wrote:

> > ... some of the music I download
> > off the Internet... I've
> > previously purchased on vinyl, 8-track, cassette and CD.  Some even
> > on shellac.
>
> I trust you are talking flat, not cylindrical shellac?

Mostly.  My mom deals in antique music boxes and record players so
occasionally I'll find a cylinder that I like that's not worn out.
Problem is getting a good reproduction.  there's a guy on the
phonograph web ring who has built a fiber optic laser pickup that
can reach down in the grooves below where the needle has damaged to
get the good audio.  He has some sample audio on his site that is
amazing.  Sorry, didn't save the URL but it's pretty close in the
ring from the one I'll give below.

> Can you share some of your favorite download URL's

Sure.  Getting on the phonograph web ring and walking it is the best
thing. Here are a couple of sites that I've bookmarked.

http://www.2multiples.com/hotdance/index.htm  Small collection of
mostly big band
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/4264/  Shellac Shanty - huge
site with most in streaming audio format.  Some of the recordings
have technical digital problems but most are good.  Music is from
all over the spectrum.  Best thing is, on most pages, he has a "play
the whole collection" button.  Stick that URL in X-fileget and it
sucks the whole page down in seconds (at least on a DSL line :-)
The fiberoptic laser pickup site is a few sites back on the ring
from this one.
http://lp2cd.com/webrg_r.htm  These guys do absolutely amazing
recovery of audio from old records, tapes and whatnot and don't
charge that much.  Many samples to listen to.
http://thebigbroadcast.tripod.com/ - The Big Broadcast Archive.
This is the sound archive of a public broadcast station that
produces a big band show called the Big Broadcast.  All their recent
stuff is available full length in streaming audio.

That's about it.  When I have time for this stuff, I just get on the
phono ring and start walking.  It's huge.

John

--
John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]