You might try saving them as a Quicktime Movie (one of the other Ultra Sound
options) and then trying the conversion. Better yet, though, you can use
SoundJam Plus to do the initial recording off of your MD (it accepts sound
in from analog sources, such as what you're doing). This way, everything
will stay within a single application--after recording, it will convert what
it recorded into an mp3. This might clear up any problems with getting Toast
to recognize what it's looking for.

A CD player in and of itself does not have the ability to read an mp3 file.
It is not designed for that. Where would it get the software knowledge it
needs to do that? A CD-ROM player might could, if you also encoded the CD
with the software necessary for reading the mp3 files. (It would work if the
mp3-reading software were already on your computer, and you played the files
via your computer...but I presume that you want this music to be portable).

But there are better solutions: go to <http://www.mp3.com> and click on
Hardware, then look for blurbs on some recent additions to the techno
side---CD-type players that specifically are designed to play mp3 files. The
knowledge needed to do this is buit in to the circuitry of the player, so
you just pop your mp3-laden CD into it, and it plays them. Estimates are you
could put 10 hours of mp3 music on a single CD.

SoundJam Plus is about $30 from Casady and Greene <http://www.casadyg.com>

Richard Huggins