> "Billy Hetherington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
        (his mze44 is having problems.)

I have had no problems with my mze44 that sound like what you are dealing
with. Playback has always been smooth and trouble free. The only thing I
noticed is that if you shake it side to side it is very susceptible to
skipping. Although it seems now that the mze44 is going to be
discontinued, I have a review of it at
http://www.fuzzymike.com/md/reviews/mze44.html
and it is still available for 99.99 at jandr.com. It recently vanished
from crutchfield.com, perhaps because of similar problems to what you are
dealing with. My site has pictures of all the accessories, the entire
owner's manual scanned in, and even .mpg movies of the remote's title
scrolling.(all this trouble and its discontinued!). I have not tried discs
recorded with an mzr70, most are from my mdsjb920. If you want to mail me
the trouble causing disc, I can try it on my mze44, then we will know for
sure.

hope everything works out,

fuzzymike
http://www.fuzzymike.com/md/