Hey
I spent yesterday trying to patch a cable from a minijack to the volume
control of the cassette deck in my car, and had a bit of trouble finding the
right wire to unsolder and connect, etc, because the volume knob was mounted
on a pcb, which made things hard. Anyway, i've now tried to do it by using a
common tandy type dual-thing potentiometer, using a common ground, as an
input switcher between radio and md, which then goes to RCA's to an outboard
amp, and i've had no end of problems with it.. dodgy connections, left
channel missing, all sorts of stuff.

the idea of using a pot. as a switch was so that when changing sources i
didnt spike anything as i might with a common switch. The original idea was
to use a dj-style crossfader as the switch, but i couldnt find where to buy
one, and some guy at tandy suggested just using a dual-(sweep?) pot instead.
Unfortunately, the damn thing's so small and flimsy, i figure that that if i
ever get it working, its not gonna last long. anyone got alternate ideas?
also, electrically.. is there anything wrong with using a common ground for
the two inputs and one output, am i likely to fry anything?

thanks