At 12:24 PM 5/6/00, Luca wrote:

>Hi all,
>a question: if I buy an MD car stereo in the USA will it work in Italy?
>I'm especially worried about radio frequencies... any help appreciated!
>Thanks
>
>Luca,
>Milano, Italy

The short answer is no it won't.

But guess what? Nobody wants to manufacture different radios for different markets,
and most if not all radios are equipped with digital frequency synthesizers nowadays.
US radio models use 10k step in MW band, and 200k step in FM band. European ones - MW
9k step/FM 50k step. All this means you won't be able to tune into vast majority of
stations... without some soldering skills.

What I've done in the past is bought my lovely Sony MDX-C8970 in US, then looked into
service manual (it was MDX-C7900 downloaded from www.minidisc.org, which has about the
same radio subsystem) for main controller pins description to find which one controls
tunning steps. In my unit there is actually room on PCB for Frequency select switch
which goes to respective input terminal of main controller, and may be either grounded
or left NC in models designed for different parts of the world. Soldering iron has
solved the rest of the problem.

Also, RDS is mising in US models.

Hope this helps,
Dmitry.

P.S. Guys & gals on this list, has anyone managed to get MDX-C89xx or CDX-D88xx
service manual so far ??? I would appreciate a copy please.