Hi all,

I'm new to the list.  I've got a Sony MZ-R55 that I use primarily to document
live jazz performances.  I've noticed that I'm getting tape-like dropouts on
some MDs.  I have a hunch it might be due to reusing erased MDs although I've
noticed it a couple of times with fresh ones, where I've assumed there are some
MD quality issues.  I don't really know though, are MDs prone to this kind of
thing? Or would it be my MZ-R55?  I'm not an audiophile or technophile and I
figured a digital format would be immune to mundane stuff like dropouts.  These
are field recordings meant to capture a moment that is not likely to ever occur
the same way twice, so it is particularly frustrating when tracks are ruined
by these dropouts and I'd like any suggestions for reducing the chances of these.
 Could there be a cleaning issue?

Dean G.