I also have an SBLive Platinum with LDII and the recordings from my Optical
output are as loud as with the convention analogue output.

Are you sure that:

1.  You have the master volume control turned to an optimal setting (as loud
as it will go without distorting) in the volume control applet. (If you
don't have or can't find a volume control applet, try running "sndvol32.exe"
which should be present on your system)

2.  You also have the specific volume control for your recording source set
to an optimal setting. Eg, if recording MP3s check your "Wave/DirectSound"
volume control;  or if recording audio from your CD-Rom drive via your
SBLive check your "CD Audio" and/or "CD Digital" volume control as
appropriate

3.  You have adjusted the *recording* volume of your minidisc recorder.
Some Sharp units for example have a separate record volume setting for
Analog and Digital inputs.  Plug in your optical cable to the minidisc
recorder, and audition the recording level (Using REC-PAUSE mode) and adjust
the *Recording* volume level (not the audio output level thru yr headphones)
until it is optimal.  Again many units have a level meter or indicator so
you can tell how loud the music will be recorded. Try and drive the level
indicator until it peaks at its maximum without the 'Over' indicators
lighting up.

This always works for me and I have no problems recording digital output
from my SBLiveDrive II.