MiniDisc Community Pages News for 12 June 2000

 o John Bunge quotes from the 6/11/00 NYT Magazine article "All in One:
   The Watch That Is Your Lifeline To the World" by Donovan Webster:
   ``The only gadgets in Akihabara that can compete with the i-phones
   for pure visual sex appeal are the squarish Minidisc players. I've
   seen these before in the U.S., but I was pretty convinced that they
   were nonstarters, already destined for the scrap heap. Perhaps in
   the U.S. they are, but not here in Tokyo. A.T.M.-style "Music PODs"
   are sprouting across the city, allowing kids to pick out the songs
   and burn their own Minidiscs, like mixed tapes. I wonder if the
   technology flourished in Japan because the players themselves,
   available in weird colors and designs, make such suitable fashion
   accessories: another layer of conspicuous techno plastic for kids to
   wear around.''

 o Ed Wong has made a [1]comparison photo gallery of the Sharp MD-MT831
   and Kenwood DMC-L7R (its clone).

      [1] http://www3.sympatico.ca/edmundw/sharpkenwood/

 o Mark Koldys finds the [2]Sony MDS-JE530, an ATRAC Type-R machine,
   for [3]$220 at www.hifi.com.

      [2] http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE530.html
      [3]
http://www.hifi.com/consumer/hifi/Product_Information.asp?mainpage=Product_Information&leftnavsec=5&No_Catalog=X&ProductNumber=S1MDS530&prodcat=aud_min&cattab=5

 o [4]ShopAudioVideo.com explains how it is that the Sharp MD-X5 price
   went from $100 to $200 in a flash.

      [4] http://www.minidisc.org/shopaudiovideo_note.html

MiniDisc Community Pages News for 13 June 2000

 o Shopaudiovideo.com reports that the [1]$100 Sharp MD-X5 offer is
   back, and they have the last 150 units available in the US. 6/14:
   Sold out in a day!

      [1]
http://www.etown.com/categories/product_profile.jhtml?fromIDA=&bodyinclude=partner&productID=4621&categoryID=27&manufacturerID=109#mainbody

MiniDisc Community Pages News for 14 June 2000

 o Jones and Ravn point out advance info at Video-Direct for the Sony
   [1]MXD-D5 (integrated 5-CD changer and MD deck) and [2]MDS-JB940
   home deck (the latter mysteriously missing its rumored long play
   mode).

      [1] http://www.video-direct.com/news/preview6-12/mxdd5c.html
      [2] http://www.video-direct.com/news/preview6-12/mdsjb940.html

 o Seamus Dunphy finds word of Sony's [3]MZ-R70PC unit, apparently
   similar to their [4]MZ-R37PC, which included a USB to analog audio
   adapter.

      [3]
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/search/search2?f=PRN/prnpub&p1=20000613-NYTU057
      [4] http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R37+R37PCIF.html

MiniDisc Community Pages News for 15 June 2000

 o Ed Porras notes that the [1]Sharp MD-MS722 is available from
   [2]Mercata.com for $140 (assuming [3]20% discount for new members
   and free shipping). The special ends today at 10PM (sorry for the
   late notice!). 6/16: Offer appears to extend until 6/18.

      [1] http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sharp_MD-MS721+722.html
      [2] http://www.mercata.com/cgi-bin/mercata/mercata/v2/pages/details.jsp?OID=19598
      [3]
http://www.mercata.com/cgi-bin/mercata/mercata/v2/pages/editorial.jsp?name=100+Free+Mercata$&bnr_id=100_promo&ste_id=homepage030300

 o Julius Davies finds [4]80' MPO blanks for US$1.93 at
   Minidisc-Canada.com.

      [4] http://www.minidisc-canada.com/order.htm

MiniDisc Community Pages News for 16 June 2000

 o The little company that could, part II: Minidisco announces their
   own [1]``Robot 80'' MD blanks.

      [1] http://www.minidisco.com/minispecs/minidiscoMD80.html

MiniDisc Community Pages News for 17 June 2000

 o Richard Reid wrote [1]essay #4 in our essay contest on MD's
   survival.

      [1] http://www.minidisc.org/md_survive4.html

MiniDisc Community Pages News for 18 June 2000

 o Portable CD-R: Nicolas Stizza finds the [1]Sony MVC-CD1000, world's
   first digital still camera recording to 77mm (3") CD-R (156MB).

      [1] http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CD1K/CD1KFL1.HTM