At 14:04 01/07/2000 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>
>Does anyone know what the SCMS status is for audio CD-Rs that are burnt
>using a computer, rather than a standalone CD recorder. For example, if I
>make WAV files from a CD-DA disc, MP3 files, or audio obtained through the
>sound-card and burn a Red Book CD from the WAV files, how do these discs get
>treated -- whether the recording is a Penultimate, Unlimited or Final
>recording.

When you record with a computer CD-R drive, it is effectively a master disc
which you're creating - you can then copy that disc onto MD or whatever.

>Also, is it possible to use a "For Consumer" CD-R which is used with a
>standalone CD recorder on a computer's CD burner for data or audio; and
>whether these discs' "fingerprint" information can be used by CD-ROM drives
>to identify recordings for purposes such as title databases.

I think it should be OK - I had a "consumer" Philips CD-RW and that worked
fine in my CD-RW drive - computer drives aren't particularly fussy in my
experience! Bear in mind that computer CD-R discs are cheaper than the
consumer ones though...

>With regards,
>
>Simon Mackay

Cheers,