Subject: Re: MD: MS stereo microphone

"Timothy P. Stockman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>

> Anyone have any experience with Sony's ECM-MS907?  It's a very
  reasonalbly
> priced mid-side microphone.  I'd be interested to know if they use a
> specially manufactured figure-of-8 electret capsule to generate the
  "S"
> signal; I'm not aware of general availability figure-of-8 electret
> capsules...  Any of the microphone gurus that read md-l know where to
  get
> figure-of-8 electret capsules?

Often, figure-8 mics use two cardioid capsules, back to back, connected
out-of-phase.  Keep in mind that capsule pickup patterns vary
tremendously over the 20 - 20 kHz frequency range, and so the figure-8
performance will too.  At lower frequencies, each capsule will
approximate an omni; at higher frequencies the pattern will narrow, and
off-axis frequency response will increasingly vary from the on-axis
response.  Don't expect much in the way of imaging below roughly 1 kHz.

And since they use cardioid capsules, you can expect that bass response
won't be very extended or flat.  And you can probably expect a high
frequency roll-off or resonance too.

I hope that this helps.

Len Moskowitz             Stealth Microphones (tm), Cables, Interfaces
Core Sound                http://www.stealthmicrophones.com
Teaneck, New Jersey       http://www.core-sound.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912