From: "Ralph Smeets" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > With 90% of the population that doesn't even hear the difference between
> > > an FM broadcast and a CD, I bet that's not a big problem.
> >
> > I beg to differ, but given a good strong signal and no perceptible
> > interference, a VHF FM stereo broadcast could well be superior quality
> > to an MD recording.  I am of course assuming the station does not do
> > stupid things like compress the amplitude to make the music sound louder
> > so as to grab the attention of more listeners.  [On medium-wave AM some
> > compression would be acceptable to me, especially at night when the band
> > changes from a few dozen miles range to a couple of thousand miles and
> > some 2 megawatt blaster in russia is doing quite well at making a small
> > local station five miles away become unlistenable].
> >
> > I can't remember whether the VHF FM multipex filter is 18khz or 22khz,
> > but either way with a good aerial and a really strong signal, and of
> > course a damn good tuner, my thoughts are it could beat MD quality.  Of
> > course most people listen to the radio on, well a radio, not their hifi
> > seperates and then MD will almost certainly be better.
> >
> > PrinceGaz.
>
> I don't know for the UK, but in the Netherlands the highest frequency of a
> signal passed through the FM 'encoding-decoding' fase, is 15kHz. Ie, the
> highes are gone.... (at least for me!)
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph -> Gaz, are you one of the 90%?

Hmm, theres obviously gonna be some gap 'tween the multiplex frequency
and the highest transmitted audio (/me knows he is moving onto ground
he knows steadily less about).

Am I one of the 90% you ask?. well yes if you're asking if I can't detect
degradation in audio quality when listening to a VHF FM radio station
which uses high quality gear, and I'm listening on my Denon TU-560L
hooked up to a rooftop aerial to give a superb signal.  Then again I bet
90% or more of listeners use at best a naff midi combo system and I
reckon their tuner section would be inferior.

So I'll say no, I am not one of the 90% but one of the 10%, and before
you even think of asking Ralph, I'm one of the other 10% as well as you
may remember <g>.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz.