Sorry, but that's just not true. I don't know if american headphones

> are built differently, but riding Hamburg's subway I'm always amazed
> at how loud people can turn their earbuds and NOT have their eyes come
> out bleeding. I tried and turned my own volume up until it started to
> hurt, but when I took my earbuds out I could hear nothing.
> So what does this tell us ? Buy stock in hearing-aid companies.

I have to agree with you.  I don't think that it is a volume thing.  A
properly designed headphone when on a person's ears should not be giving
off loud sounds.

Someone made the statement that one reason was because it costs more to
make earbuds of equal quality to regular headphones.  That's not it
either.  First of all, before you make a statement like that, you had
better have data to back it up.

Generally the quality of the listening device should be compatible with
the quality of the item purchased.  It is not always the case.  But the
worst thing that a company can do us make a great portable and sell them
with poor a sounding listening device.

Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Getting back to the "it costs' more argument.  I fail to see the logic in
that.  Americans pay more for their Mini Disc gear then the Japanese do
(at least until the internet).  It isn't the few dollars more ( if you was
said about earbuds costing more then headphones of equal quality) that
would stop an American from buying an item.

I'm almost 100% sure that the choice of the majority of Americans is
headphones and that's the reason.  The Japanese  are very big on making
things as small as possible.  Look how they keep trying to make the next
generation of MD portables small than then last generation.

In the US bigger is better.

My 2 cents
Larry