Hi Richard,

ATRAC3 indeed provides a greater compression ratio, about double that of the
original ATRAC.  Sony claims better integration with equipments that also
use ATRAC.

Sound quality is supposed to be "MD-like".  I'm assuming this means slightly
inferior to MD depending on the source.  The reason for such assumption is
that the first MD equipments were said to be "CD-like".

ATRAC3 first surfaced with Sony's memory stick walkman last year.  In this
case, ATRAC3 is available in three compression ratios:  132kbps, 105kbps,
and 66kbps.  105 is the "standard". I'm not sure what ratios are used on the
new MD equipments.

Leon