Michael Burger wrote:

> >I am using a borrowed AT 825 stereo mic. The owner has adapted the pin
> >XLRF plug to a three wire 1/8" stereo plug so that it will feed portable
> >DAT or MD. The system works fine with my Sharp 722 except that it seems
> >a bit noisier than I expected. Fresh batteries made a slight difference
> >but there is still this hiss. My old Radio Shack Optimums unidirectional
> >(pin, battery powered) is much quieter. Could the adaptation be
> >problematic? Anybody else had noise problems with this mic?
>
> Could it just be a matter of the mic being too sensitive, and lacking
> in noise cancellation?

I suspect a wiring error.   There are three wires comming from the mike.
One should ber the shield or ground, one it the right channel, and one
is the lleft channel.  If the right and left channels are mixed, it will
just  swap the channels.  If the shield/ground is interchanged with
either channel, you can pick up noise, and you will get some cross
channel bleedover.  I would verify the wiring, and put a new battery in
it.  IF that doesn't work, my guess is the mike is defective.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways