jgvp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The discernible difference to me personally is that Napster permits
>me to have a choice to what <I> want to listen to right there and
>then, as opposed to having to listen to maybe an hour or two's worth
>of music ( to say nothing of the excruciating advertising ) in order
>to garner a pleasureable three minute cut. If I choose to retain
>those three minutes then that's OK if it's radio but not, according
>to the RIAA, if it's Napster. I do happen to have a sizeable
>45,78,LP,CD,Cassette library nonetheless.

Without getting into the morals and legalities (and because I'm trying
not to get flamed):

Technically, the difference is that the record companies have granted a
limited, exclusive license to certain radio stations to broadcast certain
songs off of certain albums. You have the right to "time shift" those
broadcasts -- that is, record them and listen to them when it is more
convenient for you. The record companies often also get some degree of
royalties and revenues from radio airplay. The basic purpose for such
broadcasting is to get you to buy CDs.

Napster, on the other hand, allows you to download any song from any CD
without permission, and without paying for it. By using Napster, users
are taking control of the broadcast and distribution medium and, in turn,
the music itself.

I'm not making any judgements here. Just stating matter-of-factly.