A loaded question to be sure.

Here's my problem.  I am trying to record digitally
from a DenonDN-C680 CD Player (no optical output) to
my Sharp MT-15.

I bought a Coax -> Optical converter from someone who
had advertised it on this list.  It seems to be
working OK as I see a red light on the cable that is
coming out from the unit (optical -> mini).

I have a digital coax cable that I bought from Sound
Professionals running from the CD player into the
converter.  The coax cable is coming from the digital
out (unbalanced) RCA type-jack on the CD player.
There is also an XLR type connection, but that doesn't
do me any good.

The message on the MD unit says "Can't Record".  I
have tried using the Sync/Enter button with the CD
player running or in pause or stop mode (which is how
it is supposed to work).  I have also tried hitting
the record button and then Sync/Enter; or record and
then play (as if it were a cassette deck).  The
message consistently says "Can't record".  The only
difference is that when I hit the record button, the
VU meter on the MD actually shows the recording level
- it doesn't record, just shows the level to taunt me.

Can anyone explain this to me?  I thought I was
beginning to grasp all of this, but I guess not.  This
is why I bought the Sony MDX-D3, though it would be
really convenient for me to record from this unit as
well.  Not to mention that I have spent about $65.00
on equipment to make it work.  For $35.00 more, I
could have gotten a portable CD player with optical
out.  Too late now, though.

Thanks for your help.

James