It's nice to hear when MD vs MP3 is treated objectively in the media.

>pros:
>cheaper media
>longer recording time
>higher quality recording
>wider choice of players
>more editing/mix capabilities

I definitely agree with the "pros".  (I think higher recording quality is
based on the 128K MP3's that are widely available in the 'net; MP3 gives
fairly high quality at higher bit rates.)

>cons:
>double compression

The damage has been done by the 128K MP3 compression.  I think that ATRAC
4.5 or "R" compression makes an inaudible difference after that.

>larger than mp3 players

True, but the R70 is really darn small.

>needs high-end recorder

(???)  The R70 *is* a recorder.  It even has digital in.  The real con is
that your computer has to have digital out to use it.  Also, it only does 1X
transfer.  Sony *could* change that, though, to 2X if you used 88.2K on
something like a DIO2496.  Or maybe even 4X with USB.

Another point that would eliminate a potential advantage of MP3 is if there
was software to automatically transfer the titles from the MP3 files as they
were being recorded.