On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 05:55:40 -0400, las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Buy the very best speakers you can afford. Even if it means buying a
>slightly less expensive receiver or amps. Maybe giving up some of the
>bells and whistles.
>
>Then NEVER buy speakers without a 100% no questions asked return
>policy. Speakers will sound different every where they are placed.
>Also, consider the room. You may need to add or subtract some sound
>absorbing objects.
>
>Larry
>
>PS if none of this makes sense, It's 5:30 AM and I still haven't gone
>to sleep yet!!

It makes very good sense, Larry, and it's very good advice ;-)

On a very similar note, for portable music I think that all this
discussion of "which version of ATRAC sounds better" should be secondary
to making sure you buy the best headphones you can afford. The headphones
that come with *any* (and I have yet to find an exception) portable music
device are simply horrible. If you can get a portable with an older
version of ATRAC for $100 less than a newer unit, you'd be better served
to buy it instead of the newer unit and spend the $100 on some really
good headphones...