I'll just write another post about this. It's easier than posting a link
to the first which was in an egroup mailing list.

I just received a new computer-my first-as a gift. It's very nice but I
want to upgrade several things. Also, I know next to nothing about
computers. Here are the specs:

Dell Latitude CP

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Version

233 MHz

12.1" Active Matrix Color Screen

CD-ROM

Long Battery Life

4.0 GB Hard Drive

56K Modem Card Built-in (Plug and Play)

Hard Plastic Case

etc.

I ordered a DSL Modem and I'm going to use DSL for my internet
connection. This computer meets all the minimum requirements except I'm
not sure if it has 32 MB RAM. I can't imagine it would not, however.

Here's what I want to upgrade:

First priority: DVD-ROM drive to replace CD-ROM drive

Does adding a DVD-ROM mean I should upgrade the processor and use a more
powerful battery for viewing DVD movies and music video?

Printer/Scanner/Copier (?)-all in one or separate, if not available all
in one

Adapter from SVGA (?) out to component video in for viewing on my HDTV.
Someone said this will ruin my HDTV by etching in scan lines or
something like that. True? If so, obviously, I won't do that.

Add IEEE1394 Firewire Port and video memory

And, I would like to use it in my mobile DJ setup as a DVD/CD player for
DVD music videos, mainly. Can this computer be hooked up via audio
output to an audio mixer and via S-Video (?) output to an external
television or video mixer for this purpose?

Thanks very much for any feedback. I live in West Hollywood, very close
to Beverly Hills off the Sunset Strip if anyone local is interested, by
the way.