http://www.theatlantic.com/cgi-bin/o/issues/2000/09/mann.htm
Rampant music piracy may hurt musicians less than they
                      fear. The real threat -- to listeners and,
conceivably,
                    democracy itself -- is the music industry's reaction
to it

                                   by Charles C. Mann

                       A LITTLE while ago I heard that the future of
music was
                        being decided in a nondescript office suite
above a bank
                        in San Mateo, California. I couldn't get there
in time, so I
                    asked a friend to check it out. A crowd was milling
in front of
                    the entrance when he arrived. My friend parked
illegally and
                    called me on his cell phone. There are twenty or
thirty
                    television cameras, he said, and a lectern with a
dozen
                    microphones. Also lots of police officers. I asked
about the
                    loud noise in the background. "That," he explained,
"is people
                    smashing compact discs with sledgehammers."
--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways