On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:55:51 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  Hi Everyone,
>  This may sound a bit of a basic question, but my Toshiba DVD player has
an
>  optical output (Toslink I think it is). Anyway, is it possible to connect
>  this to an MD portable recorder via a toslink/mini jack-style optical
cable?
>  If so, are there concerns about sample rate conversion etc..? Or is it
>  impossible? If so, what do you use the optical output for?
>  I hope I've explained myself well enough, any help gratefully received.
>  Martin

Normally the digital outs on DVD players (coax or optical) tend to be for
connection to A/V amps ie Dolby Digital or possibly DTS (assuming that
either your DVD player doesn't have onboard decoders, or that you'd prefer
to use an external decoder / amp). That doesn't mean that's the only use you
can make of the digital out - you could simply connect it to a normal audio
amp (that accepts the appropriate digital connection) simply for use of an
external amp and speakers, when watching DVDs (assuming you have no digital
decoders, but simply want perhaps better quality sound, than simply between
your DVD player and your TVs speakers). Whether you'd realise any benefit,
in this scenario, and just simply connecting the analogue audio outs to the
analogue audio ins on an amp - is probably unlikely - unless there is
considerable (likely) disparity between the DACs in the DVD player, and your
amp.

Most DVD players (all?) can be used as simple CD players, also, so you could
use the optical out, with an appropriate cable, to connect to the optical in
on your MD portie. Most (all?) of the porties I've come across have sample
rate convertors, so it shouldn't be a problem if the DVD player outputs at a
higher rate than the MD format uses.

Depending on the DVD player you use, you may, or may not have issues with
track marks being correctly recorded by your MD recorder when you use the
optical connection for recording of CDs. You may also have to configure the
type of signal emitted (PCM or bitstream) from your DVD players digital out.

Personally, I've used the digital (and analogue) outs from my DVD player to
record audio from DVDs. However my DVD player only has a coax digital out,
so I have to either connect it to my bookshelf MD unit (for a digital
connection), or use a convertor to connect it to one of my porties using an
optical connection. Quite often I simply use the analogue outs connected to
the analogue line in on my porties, when I want to record.

HTH

Neil