The Dixons branch in Welwyn (Hertfordshire, England... where I work)
is closing in a few days for a refit, and, as a result, there are
plenty of bargains to be in the realms of audio.

One thing that really caught my eye was a sleek half-width silver MD
unit, manufactured by Sanyo.  The 'Manager's Bargain' card identified
the item as a '007MD', though it actually looks as if it comes from
one of their bookshelf systems.  It's going for a mere gbp49.99
(ex-dem) - the cheapest MD unit I think I've ever seen (I don't think
I've even seen early Sony portable players going for less than 55-60
quid on Tottenham Court Road).

Now, this has all the appearances of a separate deck, but may well be
next to useless for recording outside of the context of its bookshelf
system.  Can anyone shed any light on this (I couldn't see round the
back of the unit; nor was it connected to the mains)?  If it *does*
have, at the very least, a TOSlink input and, hopefully, standard RCA
ins/outs then it's a bargain - and would make a very nice cheap
introduction to MD for someone.

So, the Sanyo 007MD (or, more likely, the MD component in the X5CM
system) anyone?

Mike.