Some how I got in the middle of a long thread that was not related to MD.
Although I don't think that I was the first person to start this thread, I know
that I was certainly not the first person to start previous threads of a similar
nature.

So back to MD.  First off.  I refuse to  give up on MD.  It's just that good.
With all of the CD  writers out now, it is no longer a matter of copying songs
digitally.  The computer can give you better clones because there is no
compression involved.

But the sound quality of the MD is still excellent.  And when it comes to
portability, with the exception of solid state (which for the foreseeable future
will always be too expensive to use to build a library from) the MD excels.

But MD has to be MD for the masses in order to really be accepted in the US.
The average American, no matter whether he/she is willing to admit it or not is
a technophobe.  That's the only explanation I can give for a product as dumb as
"WebTV", or portable DVD players.  Buy a notebook computer with a built in DVD
ROM drive.

I suppose in fairness that price is also a consideration.  I think that WebTV is
a little cheaper then a computer (since you don't need to buy a monitor, don't
have a hard drive etc.).  But Americans want it simple.  You put the CD in.  Put
the MD in and press one button.  Just like tape to tape.

I don't think the average American cares about or can even hear the difference
between a digital MD copy and an analog copy.  Hell depending upon the quality
of the equipment it is played back on, I'm not sure that I could.

Maybe there should be a "boom Box with a CD and MD and none of the frills.
Since it is actually cheaper to make a CD to MD digital connection that would
probably still be the way to do.

But no Sony end of search etc.  Make it just like the cassette.  If you want to
record over something you just go to the place and record over. No fancy
editing.  Forget titling.

A portable recorder should come with only an analog input since most people will
not have access to a digital output (remember, I'm talking about Md for the
masses, not for the people on this list).

Eliminate all of the editing functions.  Have it come with two cords or detailed
instructions how to use each.  A 1/8 stereo mini to mini (for recording from a
portable CD player and a mini to r and l RCA phono plugs.

No back lights, no remotes no nothing.  Anywhere you stop the disc, you can
record over what is on the disc just like a cassette.  Then make the price of
the portable recorder under $100.00 and the player about $35.00.

Let people get a "taste" of "MD for dummies".  Gradually many of them will want
to move up as they "out grow" the basic system.