On Sunday, Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:35:45 -0400
las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|I think that it would be interesting to hear from anyone who actually has
|lived with this unit for a while.

|Do you had a marked difference between standard MD and the LP2 mode with
|regard to sound quality?

I just got my MZ-R900 from Japan-Direct on Friday (I got the red one),
and it's a real gem. Unfortunately, I haven't had all that much time
to play with it, but one of the first things I did was to dub the 2-CD
Joel McNeely re-recordings of Bernard Herrmann's TWILIGHT ZONE music.
I recorded in the LP2 mode, and I gotta tell you it sounds great!
Although I'm still inclined to record CDs in the normal speed, I
wouldn't hesitate to use LP2 for multiple-CD sets or for mixes.
Frankly, I can't tell any difference between the CD and the LP2 copy.

David Tamkin suggested that I (and some others) might be able to
determine what a dub from LP2 to normal speed would sound like. I'm
afraid that's not possible right now, since neither the JE-440 nor the
MZ-R900 has a digital output. I'll make it my first order of business,
though, when I get the MDS-JB940 (whenever someone starts actually
selling them).

|Is Sony the only manufacture selling a portable LP MD unit at this time?

I don't know the answer to that one right now. On the other hand, I
notice that Minidisco has two MDLP play-only units for sale: the
MZ-E900 and the Victor XMP 2000.

Jim R.
09/24/00
2350