Last night I spent a couple of hours checking out the sound quality on my
R900 and comparing it to my R50. To do this, I recorded "The throne room
and end title" from the Star Wars suite digitally to a disc on the R50,
then moved the disc to the R900 and recorded it again using standard
stereo and LP2 modes. Then I listened to all 4 recordings through the
R900 using my Sony NC10 earbuds. (The CD was played through the R900 with
the R900 paused in record mode.)

On a scale of 1-10 with the CD being placed at 10, this is how I would
rank the sound quality of the various recordings:

Recorded on R50:  9.5
R900 stereo:      9.8
R900 LP2:         9.2

I didn't specifically test the LP4 mode in this manner, but I have used
it. I would probably rate it somewhere around 7.6.

I should note that it took very, very careful listening with my eyes
closed and as little outside noise as possible for me to be able to hear
the differences between the 4 versions. I would say that under normal
listening conditions there would be no detectable differences between the
recordings.

So does anybody know when Kenwood will be coming out with a car stereo
that supports the LP modes?

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]