There are quite a few CD/MD (or CD/MD/cassette) boomboxes available in
Japan.  It's actually a pretty hot market.

Some of them lets you use battery (Kenwood's Rampage does, I think), some
don't.  Sony has just announced a new model that doesn't feature MDLP - this
must have been featured on the MDCP.

Panasonic's current one, RX-MDX5 I think, actually costs less than the
SJ-MR100, and features HDES encoding.

exquisitely corny,
Leon