Hello,

Just got my MXD-D5C from Crutchfield yesterday afternoon, and was pleased to
see that Sony apparantly added a keyboard input for the US model (it is on
the back of the unit).  I don't believe this was on the Japanese model, or
at least the Japanese press release made no mention of it.  If there's
someone in Japan on this list that can verify this, I'd appreciate it.

But what I'm really wondering is if the US model still has the ATRAC Type-R.
The manual makes NO mention of it, and I can't find any definite info online
anywhere.  I can't see why they would take it out... I do know that the
Type-R isn't supposed to work when you're going at high speed or when
recording in LP mode.

Anyway... the unit is pretty decent.  You can't eject an MD when the power
is off, which is lame.  The keyboard doesn't let you control some editing
functions as you can on the 940 (only track titling and basic controls for
the CD and MD players).  You can't get into the edit menu by pressing ESC,
and you can't select a track by pushing the number keys (this I'm not sure
if you could on the 940...)

But with high speed dubbing, MDLP modes, Scale Factor Edit, and a keyboard
input, that tackles the four major points for me.  Now if I could just be
sure if the Type-R is in there...

--Brian Youn--
The University of Texas at Austin
Electrical and Computer Engineering, 5th Year