> I am interested in burning midi music onto my Sharp MD-MT15 through an
> optical link.

Since you're coming from a MIDI file, which is a music "keystroke" file, you
need a sound generator (synthesizer) to render the file.  The MIDI hardware
on most sound cards is very bad.  Although it's better, I've not been
satisfied by rendering software, either.  I've been searching for an
external General MIDI synth module.  The new Roland Sound Canvas is fairly
expensive and it does not have S/PDIF output.  So I still haven't settled on
anything.

I'd be interested in suggestions...