Check out the FAQ on the MD community page.  I believe it has nothing to do with
further compression (or more correctly bitwise reduction).  The just lower the
bit rate.

If you go use Napster you will always see a bit rate listed for each song you
search for.  The higher the number the larger the file.

For MP3s 128 seems to be the most popular number.  But you will find a variety
of different numbers listed.

The smaller you make the file, the more you can fit on the disc (obviously).

As far a blowing away MP3, if you mean in terms of storage time, again depending
on the bit rate, A CD of MP3 files will have a much longer playing time than an
MD in the LP2 mode.

>From statements made on this list, the LP4 mode's sound quality is not suitable
for music.

Larry