I'm guessing new Sony MDLP equipments will come out "on schedule", after the
same interval between any previous generations.

Sony will definitely play MDLP to their advantage, because so many others
aren't ready even in Japan. One would imagine Sharp has some form of ATRAC3
technology (since they're selling the e-musee, the headphone/memory stick
player), but they've had no MDLP equipment out.  If Sharp is developing, I'd
imagine a February/March 2001 launch in Japan.

Matsushita may never touch MDLP, for they're using AAC in solid-state audio
against Sony's ATRAC3, and claiming that AAC is nearer to CD quality amongst
the "near-CD" compression algorithms. But only time will tell.

Leon

p.s. The new Sony memory stick walkman looks great.