Hi,

You can go to this FAQ page for answers to your questions:

http://www.minidisc.org/mdlpfaq.html

In short: MD-LP doubles (LP2 mode) or quadrouples (LP4 mode) the usable time
when you record on blank discs.  All MDLP equipments available now will
record and play your current MDs in non-LP modes.  Tracks recorded in MDLP
will be treated as silent tracks on equipments that don't support MDLP.

LP2 is stereo, and sounds quite pleasant against normal MD recordings. LP4
is joint stereo, which seems to be less suitable for music.

If you don't REALLY need to squeeze 2,3 albums, or over 5 hours of lecture
on an MD, you don't have to rush into buying MDLP equipments.

And hang on to your 831. I think it's one of the best out there.

Leon