"J. van de Griek" wrote:

> See, the problem in this situation is that the actual problem itself can be
> anywhere in either the burner, the media, the player, or in a combination of
> any of them...

Hopefully, more and more drives will start coming out with "burnproof"
technology, like the Plextor.  That will end this debate.  The real problem is
the software/hardware combination.  Like burnproof technology, a drive should be
able to know when to write and when to wait.  Kind of like printer spooling.
You store enough the information so that where will be no buffer problems.

The drive should have control over whether it writes or not if they information
isn't streaming fast enough.  Remember the old Star Trek where "Nomad" the
"changeling" feeds the information to the ships computer faster then the
computer can take it and the computer starts to smoke?

The next time that it was going to transfer information, Spock (e.g. the
"burnproof" technology) politely asked Nomad not to "send the data faster than
the computer could handle it".

Of course there is the occasional disc problem-some brands just seem to have
problems with some drives.  My daughter once had an HP drive that she had to
return because it would only write to HP discs.

But that's no assurance that an HP disc is good.  I have had trouble with HP
discs in my external HP drive from time to time.

Larry